Sunday, February 01, 2009

First Post in 2009/MEV 40

I have not written for a long time.  Well...I am alive and fine!

Currently, I am listening to the four-CD set titled MEV 40 (New World).  A collection of 7 live performances by the American improvisation group called the Musica Elettronica Viva.  I guess the use of this Italian name was mainly due to the fact that this group was founded in Rome, when all the core members were there.  Only the first track of the first CD really sounds like avant-garde improvisation, in a sort of Cage/Tudor style.  Others tracks were more like free-jazz, mainly due to their choice of instrument and performing style.  For me it is like "The Foundation of MEV and After," because I know the group name only from books on new music (i.e. Michael Nyman's Experimenta Music).  But overall, this set was quite enjoyable and reviewed in the Record Geijyutu.

No comments: